Watching a recent episode of RHONYC, I was completely distracted by one of the housewife's, sofa. hit the *pause* button. Yes, I saw it right, the most perfect, deep cushioned, velvet tiger (so much better than leopard) sofa!!!



What? It's brilliant! I'm in love!!! and it got me thinking, I've always had a deep down desire for a little leopard sunthin-suthin going on in my spaces. A call of the wild.  Once upon,a long time ago, my boyfriend moved in to my, well furnished, Presidio Heights apartment. He was allowed to bring a couple of things: his clothing, and  his velvet leopard print chair. The rest could stay in storage or be sold or whatever (foreshadowing?)  Two kids, two bicoastal moves and as many houses later, he and the chair moved out. I was sad to see it leave. It still lives with him. And the girls get to visit it every other weekend and odd year  holidays.




My teenage daughter recently stuck her hand down the back of the chair cushion to find an old goldfish cracker (preservatives really work!) and a Polly-Pocket. It's like our little exotic time capsule.  I did some research on that, fore mentioned, housewife's sofa. It's sort of famous in its own rite.



Many years ago it was seen in a Vogue shoot, sitting in the room of her mother-in-law, Lee Radziwill's living room (this whole room needs to be discussed - those stools? man) . Talk about a time capsule. Wonder what you'd find if you stuck your hand down the back of those cushions. The sofa of my dreams was custom-made by the esteemed, NYC furniture maker the De Angelis. I can dream. And I'm saving the above image for my "someday when" file. Because you sort of need a certain sort of space to pull it off. My beach house house isn't feeling the velvet in such large quantities. It's roar would be a little too loud.


designer: Miles Redd

via: HG


So what about some subtle touches?

Nick Olsen for House Beautiful

Tory Burch apartment- which, I mean, come on. It's insane. More below...

Designer: Palmer Weiss


A pillow here and there? This. Can be done. In the mean time I'm super happy with my J.Crew leopard phone cover. It's the perfect bit of wild glamour -without too much commitment.

Comments

¡Fräulein! said…
the price is cray cray but look what i stumbled upon today:
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/fuo/3216937224.html
Pigtown*Design said…
i love the pillow that moves around.
mary said…
Hi Megan, I think the sofa and stools are upholstered in Scalamandre, but probably not the silk version--but maybe. The retail on the Scalamandre silk "Le Tigre" is up to about $1300/yard...Love this post. Mary
Grant K. Gibson said…
I am glad I wasn't the only one that paused when I sw the sofa!

Come to visit in SF soon!

xx
Grant

grantkgibson.com
Seriously no comments on this! i swear you read my mind and the iphone case...a girl has got to live a little! my house would not tolerate the roar either, but watch out for my iPhone. so glad to have found you! nicely done.
Paula Masterman said…
I still miss my big ol' fake fur leopard pillow - floor style. It was so much fun to curl up on, so soft and I loved how it looked in my lavender room. Ah, those were the 60s ~
cotedetexas said…
i see someone else mentioned the price. it's like the most expensive fabric there is - a whole sofa? omg.
cotedetexas said…
that's likethe most expensive fabric ever. can't believe a whole sofa. whoa.

Popular Posts