it's the one about headboards... and a bonus how-to video

A few years ago I was fortunate enough to spend some time at The One and Only hotel in Mexico.
Along with those gorgeous Galbraith and Paul fabrics every where, was this insane, Colcha covered headboard.
I covet the covered headboard. Anytime I see a great one I pull it for my overflowing file.
in my collecting, I've realized a few things. I love nailheads on rectangular headboards {although I've seen them on more curvilinear shapes, I don't love them as much when they're not in a neat little marching row}
actually that's not true, I like the nailheads here.
I don't like a headboard to be too big or puffy. Tight, and a thin-ish profile works for me. did someone say 'curvilinear'? {off topic, but I love those, monogrammed orange euro shams}
tall is good, you want to be able to see the head board when the pillows are up against it. But keep in mind, if you have a pitched ceiling, you don't necessarily want a really tall headboard.
nailheads and swoopiness. I'm begining to like it the more I write this post. Sometimes you have to lay it all out before you can see it
I love this headboard, even though it's a naked headboard.
These last few are late additions as more than a few of us have headboards on the brain. Found these over at smittendesigns.com. thanks reader, 'elly e' for the headsup.
I had forgotten about this little twin set {above} I've always loved this shot. Not only are the colors lickable, those monogrammed shams, slay. I'm guessing but don't know for sure that they're Leontine.
Back to that Colcha covered headboard that I coveted......What I didn't know was that headboard- the one that I met in Mexico, had an established fan base. {It appeared in Cookie magazine in '05} And Grace Bonney of design*sponge, was one of them.
So inspired was she, that she went out and made herself one. Watch here as she recreates her own version of the One and Only headboard.

Comments

cotedetexas said…
she's so cute. she makes it look so easy but I know it's not. it ended up so cute!!!!
Kaylee said…
I love the orange and white in the first picture! Great post!
Mrs. Blandings said…
First of all, she's adorable. The headboard looks amazing and I'm in awe of taking on a project like that in an apartment.

I looked into doing this myself last year. Now, her design - the curvy greatness - is another story, but on a rectangular headboard? By the time I figured up the cost of materials I was not that far from a PB headboard. I'm just sayin'.

And the nailheads are killer.
milvdk said…
I too have been craving an upholstered or maybe even a tufted headboard for a while. I looked over at Ballards and the ones at Urban Outfitters, but nothing has thoroughly convinced me. I think I may just have to try this once I find the perfect fabric! Thanks for posting this.
Karena said…
Great collection to show! It is amazing to see so many new styles emerge in headboards!
Karena said…
Ooh, Megan we are having a thunderstorm day here in KC.
72 and sunny said…
I loved the buses going by in the background. Completely added to the video {that and the cat roaming}

For the record: Urban does have some really nice ones, btw. And really well priced.

But I still think we could all make one. It's all about the fabric though isn't it? the fabric and the shape.
Lauren said…
awesome compilation... great inspiration and now i want one! but SO done with spending!! arggg
elly e said…
Headboards are the rage today. Just read this over at smitten design. http://smittendesign.blogspot.com/2009/09/headboards.html

for more inspirational pictures and thoughts.
red ticking said…
wonderful post... so many options!
Smitten Design said…
We are on the same wave length! I love the pictures you've posted. Let us know which one you get around to making. Good luck!
Anonymous said…
i cant help but see a niche for and affordable custom headboard business.

-jendawg
Renae Moore said…
I agree with the others, she is adorable. She does make the project look so easy...and she did a great job!

I bought a modern headboard at West Elm and am thinking about slip covering it...I just need to get off my butt and get 'er done!
Vanilla Press said…
Ooh, there are some beautiful headboards there! Love the pics!

Jas
Ireland
Brooke said…
I've had the pink headboard photo saved in my archives for quite some time. I don't think I would want it to be MY bed (I'm a bit more subtle), but I do love / appreciate it. Talk about a statement piece!
Erin said…
Too funny, I featured the same picture you have as the last one in your post in my Nod to Photographer Ngoc Minh Ngo! Love all the headboard choices!

http://www.slipcoveryourlife.com/?p=1588
She's a natural. Well-written. Wonderfully produced. How many of us have done something knowing we should have had a mask on???? And yes, the background noise...perfect!
Style Court said…
Megan, the shams in the bedroom designed by Melissa Rufty are indeed Leontine, I'm told. Melissa is on Magazine Street and she and Jane Scott have collaborated often. They go way back. Just FYI :)
Style Court said…
Oh and I agree with everyone -- Grace is the best! So great on camera and really kind too.
Love all those headboards. I just put up two girls bedrooms with new headboards on my blog if you want to take a peak.
Laura Grote said…
Where is the dark wooden bed with the scalloped edges from? I looked at the Smitten Design blog but could not find it.
Anonymous said…
FYI, the dark scalloped bed is from Vivaterra. Follow the link below.

Gustavian Bed - Dark

http://www.vivaterra.com/pls/enetrixp/!stmenu_template.main?complex_id_in=482007.1062178.2565187.2724456.page

Popular Posts